Monday, February 18, 2008

 
ASK THE RABBI

Circus Israel’s spiritual, religious and religious-nationalist advisor, Rabbi Messianach Kook, answers your questions.

Shalom, Rabbi. An Arab has offered to sell me a set of 4 Pirelli Scorpion all-terrain tires with outlined white lettering. Is it permissible to buy these tires from an Arab? I drive a 2006 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4.
Mordechai, from Alfe Menashe.

Shalom, Mordechai. The Scorpion is a very fine tire. I was tempted, but installed Michelin LTX A/T2s on my 2007 GMC Yukon 4WD. Also a very fine tire. I understand, however, that your inquiry is not principally automotive in nature. You pose a question for which the Talmud has a ready answer. I have scoured the tractates and must advise that it would be absolutely inconceivable to purchase these goods from an idolatrous Arab in the Land of Israel. However, I am persuaded that the pious 17th-century Rabbi Shabbtay Kohen would frame this question: is the Pirelli Scorpion available at a comparable price from a Jewish source? If not, then I am convinced that the illustrious Rabbi Sofer of Pressburg would suggest that a righteous Jew might urge the Arab to lease the tire to him for a period in excess of the useful life of the tire. The Arab could then be expelled to Gaza. Blessed be He.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]